Pages


Monday 13 June 2011

Roast Dinner

This week has been really hard for me as my consultant has given me a "challenge" for this week. Since I have been struggling with my last Stone to target she said I should try decreasing my syns to 5-10 syns a day. I have to say it has been easier said than done. I have to budget most things and that includes my syns per day. I can't really afford to buy extra lean mince etc., so when using lean mince have to include the syns. Keeping that in mind I do enjoy a treat of some kind, whether it be a packet of crisps or a chocolate,especially when my kids enjoy there treats to. We had made muffins and peanut brittle over the weekend for them and I sat there watching them eat when I knew I would not be able to give 10 syns away on a small piece of peanut brittle. This lead me to thinking why I should not need to waste syns on gravy for our Sunday roast.

Well this is how it played out... The chicken is plain and simple. Pop it into a oven dish spice it up and stick it in the oven. Now depending on how you want to do this is depended on time I would assume. Most days I would put it in the oven on it's lowest around 10am in the morning and just leave it there for the day and eat around 3ish., but today I put the oven on 180ÂșC and did it for around 1½hrs. In the last half hour I started the side dishes. Felt like making rice the paella way as I actually like that, so in a microwave safe bowl I put 1cup of rice with boiling water and 2 veg stock cubes. Stir it up cover with cling wrap, don't forget to pierce the wrap, and in the microwave on high for 15 - 20min.  I tend to do the frozen packs of broccoli cauliflower and carrots  and just steam that. I also had a few small potatoes and although I felt like roast potato, I didn't feel like the hassle. I cut them up in squares and put them in a zip lock bag with some salt and herbs and few drops of water. Put the bag in the microwave on high for around 5 -8 min.
Then syn free gravy was born... I did start this off in a saucepan so please don't make the same mistake I did. In a pan Fry Light some diced onion and add 2 beef stock cubes with ½cup of water. Add some Worcester Sauce and passata, about 4 or 5 table spoons should do. Then add ½cup of diet Lemonade/Coke. Bring to a boil then simmer on high. Add water as needed till correct consistency or quantity.  The reason for a pan is because it has a larger surface than a saucepan, it spreads out more so simmers faster.

When you all ready drain the rice and veg, Let the potatoes just dry out a little and then serve all together. It is one of those meals in my home that the plates get cleaned off. No fighting with the kids to eat there food.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment