Pages


Thursday 19 January 2012

My new hobby...Running

Well I have to start of by saying SORRY. "Forgive me it has been a while since my last confession"... Ha ha couldn't resist always wanted to say that. I have been rather busy the last while. I first had my best friend visiting then the in law's and to top it my Step family. Was lovely to have them all but, after that was hubby's operation and that set him back for a bit again, so much for me time. He started back on track and I took up running!!!

Yes I said running lol.

I have a moto..."Never say Never". Gotta tell you I use to cycle as a kid sold my bike and said never again. ( I want a bike now) I said I would never have kids... I have 2...by choice. I said I would never be a runner... Funny how I said these things as a youngster and look now. I altered my view on life shortly after I decided that I was in fact ready to have a kid. From that day, if a friends said they would never I said "never say never".

I started off with just a 10min run/jog. Increased it to a 15min and then up to 20min run. At this point I was looking at the Santa Dashes everyone was talking about but was not ready for all that. I kept going and got up to 2miles in 20 min...and low and behold I fell ill. I was that ill that I lost my voice. You know how it is, you have responsibilities that comes first. Had all kinds of things going on at school so had to just plod on and get done with it. I was ill for nearly 3 weeks.

I managed to get my self all well again just in time for my mum to arrive for Xmas holiday. However at this time my last recorded run was end November. Obviously with family here and it being Xmas and all, there was not much time for anything else other than indulgence. Well all things a side I really enjoyed having my folks here and I really enjoyed Xmas. My exercise consisted of a lot of site seeing in particular going up the Conwy Castle towers a few times, lol.

Hubby also for once listened to what I "desired" as far as Xmas prezzies go, and I got loads of things for my new running hobby. Got a heart rate monitor watch and chest strap. Running shoes and outfit and accessories. Was pretty pleased with them and couldn't wait to test them. I had to wait unfortunately till the folks had left and I was actually jealous when friends started to talk about there first run of the year etc.

Any who. Got going as soon as they left and was pretty happy with my goodies. Was a slow start but was still able to do 2 miles. I was just doing it at a slower pace. 2 days later and I was feeling good again. Tried going a little further everyday. My goal for this year started off as The Liverpool 5k Santa Dash and a few of my group members said they would be up for the challenge.

One evening a friend sent me a message with a link... http://www.sportrelief.com/the-mile. Said her family was gonna do it, and she thought I might be interested. You have to agree it looks like fun since the family can do it to. It is a fun day of 1, 3 or 6 miles and as ours takes place at the Gulliver's were we get free entry after the race. This seems like a brilliant day and this is become my more immediate goal. This gave me a bit of a boot up the ... The next day I went out and pushed even harder. I was up to 2.7 miles and and decided that if I can do that I can do the full 3.1 miles.  I then realized that the park that seems so far to drive to is in actual fact only 1.5 miles away from home ha ha. Seemed easy enough.

I was doing ok. Not to out of breath, only get a little tired on the few uphills I got coming back. Once back on straights and got my breathing back under control I was ok again. I can proudly say I can do a 5k and not worry about it. I am trying to go little further and went 3.2 miles to day. Don't think I will push much further than that, maybe just go up to 3.5 miles and then start to work on time.

From what I figured out most people have different ideas of how you should train. Personally I don't think that if you run as a form of exercise that it really matters, but do agree that you should know your limits. I started off with just going for as long as I could and as it got easier went for a little longer. Don't push yourself that you drop when you get to the end. And read some info to get an understanding. Make it a mission to run at least 3 times a week and make it a habit.

A little motivation. Make a deal with yourself that you'll run for 10min. If you can't commit to that, just put on your running clothes. It's harder to talk yourself out of running once you're dressed.

I am looking forward to my challenge this year. I first have the Sainsbury's Sports Relief Day to look forward to and then I will be doing the Liverpool Santa Dash. I am planning  to do it as a Sponsored run and will be donating to either BOFAS or BASK. These organisations are involved with the research of knee ligament reconstruction and the improvement of Foot drop. They are both close to my family, as my husband surgeries were all experimental. For now I am doing the running for both of us as he will more than likely never be able to run again.

If you are thinking of taking up running, keep hold of this "Running is the greatest metaphor for life because you get out of it what you put into it." Oprha Winfrey and "There is no such thing as bad weather, only soft people" and have fun.


Just wanted to share this page with you gave me some insight http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/start-running-now-our-get-going-guide/4741.html

No comments:

Post a Comment