Pages


Friday 29 July 2011

Smoking

When you make life changes it usually combines healthy living, for example weight loss, exercise and more often than not giving up smoking.

I started to smoke when I was 16 and it was more a rebellious thing than anything else. I think most people who smoke know that it is not so much that you like the habit it become an addiction. My experience with smoking was much to do with needing something to occupy myself. If I was hungry I had a smoke. If I got angry I went to have a smoke. If I was stressing I had a smoke.

When I gave up the first time round it was before I decided that I wanted kids. It was more a thing of wanting to stop for myself. They had brought out a new tablet on the market and I went straight to the doctors for a prescription. It was called Zyban. With these tablet you started off with taking them while still smoking and they would have some effect on your brain or something to make you not want it.

It worked pretty well as I stopped with in a few weeks. I did not take up smoking again for many years. However as all things go, tragedy struck. The night my husband had his accident it was all just to much for me and I started to smoke again.

Two and a half years later I had joined SW I was eating healthier and I wanted to stop again. Hubby had just had another operation and we needed to save money anyway.
So we stopped again and 10 months later (my husband this time as well) we were eating healthy, looking healthy and following a healthy life style.

My point is if you can join Slimming World and have the courage to eat healthy, then you can stop smoking and become more active. The trick is not to do it all at once I think. You will no when you are ready. I started SW in June, I stopped smoking in November and I become very very active by March. Go at it at your own pace and enjoy becoming a healthier you.

No comments:

Post a Comment